Monday, May 23, 2005

My girl (the other one)

Park Geun-hye is in China right now and trying to garner support in leading the DPRK away from the nuclear void. I have always found her to be a very grounded a deep individual. I heard that after her father was killed she spent a decade or two in solitute, studying and writing. i would like to get my hands on a biography of her.
http://english.yna.co.kr/Engnews/20050523/610000000020050523221010E9.html
Chinese official warns N.K. not to pursue nuclear ambitions
BEIJING, May 23 (Yonhap) -- North Korea was warned by a Chinese official not to pursue its nuclear program, a spokesman for South Korea's main opposition party said Monday."Wang Jiarui said that Beijing's foreign policy toward the Korean Peninsula remains unchanged, and this entails a nuclear-free, stable region," Grand National Party (GNP) spokeswoman Chun Yu-ok told reporters. Wang is head of the International Department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee.Chun, who was present during talks between GNP chairwoman Park Geun-hye and Wang in Beijing, added that he told North Korean leader Kim Jong-il of China's position.
Apparently she will be there for 6 days.

Hopefully she'll get that meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao and get her face in a few photo's. I'm not a big fan of "politiking" this early out but i think Chung wil be all over any phot shoots with the bad hair man in the north later this year (if he gets his visit approved).

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Hey, good for her: she had the time to hole up and study (While KDJ, with whom I certainly have disagreements, was being driven around in the trunk of KCIA cars). What that we should all be so fortunate. From a moral standpoint, if Park Chung-hee were my father, I'd want nothing he personally provided. One could argue that all Koreans are living on his provisions, but those might well have been provided in a less -shall we say - forceful way. Rather than hiding away and "studying," I'd like to have seen her take a stance against some of the actions of her own father. That'd hold more political water with me now and give her more credibility in her current position.

As for Ms. Park, I have to question if she'd be the chairperson of the GNP if not for her heritage (which can't, of course, be held against her). I doubt it. But she's certainly politcally sharp, given that her Pa is still mighty popular in certain quarters. I daresay, that both she and GNP have hitched themselves to PCH's legacy and will ride it into the ground if it gets them what they want. So long as they're in the opposition, though, it'll be hard to know if they're as 'visionary' as their chairwoman's father.

But don't mind me. As I said in a previous comment, I tend to view 99.99% of all politicians as liars and/or murderers and question their motives accordingly.

Juggy said...

While I don't disagree with your statements, I still have mucho respect for anyone who survives both of their parents being killed (in front of them?).

Could she do more to right he fathers wrongs? Well, we'll see if her party makes it big next election ;)